Help with germinating Orchis purpurea, sima, militaris and anthropophora

Begonnen von neil, 09.Mai.19 um 23:10 Uhr

⏪ vorheriges - nächstes ⏩

neil

I have sown Orchis purpurea, sima, militaris and anthropophora on many occasions on different mediums and with different seed sources. The issue I have is in any one year I only get a 2% or 3% of the seeds to germinate.  If I leave it another year and give it a cold period a few more will germinate and so on. Does anyone here have a way of getting a greater percentage of the seeds to germinate in any one year?
Grüße von der süden küste Großbritannien

Timm Willem

Hello Neil,
Compared with my regular germination medium I had a higher germination rate with some species using the medium described here:
http://www.invitroorchids.dk/pdf/1medium.pdf

The nutrition content is poor even for a germination medium; young seedlings need a little more maintenance. In my experience this medium increased the germination rate for most Orchis regularly and for Dactylorhiza incarnata sometimes.

For most Dactylorhiza and Gymnadenia a much richer germination Medium is more suitable.

neil

Simon, thank you I will give that a try and see if it works. 

wölfchen

Zitat von: neil am 17.Mai.19 um 17:07 Uhr
Simon, thank you I will give that a try and see if it works.

Hello neil,

did you already try-out Simon´s medium ?

LG wölfchen

neil

I have made one similar but will have to wait to see what happens.

If you use this recipe and add the following it will be similar to the recipe form Claus, but in a less scientific way and for the majority of species it does not need to be complex and is a good starting media to learn on.

For vitamin B, add a crushed up Vitamin B Complex tablet ( one that contains all 8) like these ones
https://www.amazon.de/Vitamin-B-Complex-Praeparate/b?ie=UTF8&node=2860589031

For the amino acids, use a Full spectrum product,  https://www.amazon.de/aminos%C3%A4uren/s?k=aminos%C3%A4uren and weigh 0.3g out and add that. 

wölfchen

Hello neil,
thank you for information.
Sounds good to me and next time cooking I´ll give it a try.

LG wölfchen

wölfchen

neil

Claus

With Cephalanthera longifolia I also never had germination - green capsules or ripe seeds. But with soaking the ripe seeds with 1.000 ppm giberellinic acid for 3 days and using Malmgren medium with trace elements, B-vitamins and kinetine or BAP as well I got quite a lot of seedlings.  grins

Unfortunately I wasn't able to transfer them successful into the garden.  O-) O-) O-)
Wer Chemiker werden will, muss Chemie studieren; wer Jurist oder Arzt werden will, muss Jura oder Medizin studieren. Aber um Politiker zu werden, ist lediglich das Studium der eigenen Interessen notwendig. (Max O'Rell)

neil

Claus, I have soaked them 1000ppm GA3 for 24 hours, and sown on a similar media to the one you describe.  This was at the end of April but nothing yet.  Maybe a longer soak is necessary. 

wölfchen

Hi Neil,
on 11.7.2019 I sowed antropophora (could be a hybrid ) on different media.

Malmgren, BM-2, P668 and Simon´s "Orange juice".
All with additional cocowater, pineapple, potato and B-vitamines and amino acids.

...and the winner is : Malmgren !!!

Today I found many protocorms, still small - but good looking in the malmgren glass.
In all the other glasses not just one...

(picture is to follow as soon as possible ...)

LG wölfchen

neil

neil

On 9th September I moved the jars into an unheated room, just so that they know winter is coming, this has had the effect of initiating germination in O.purpurea and O. anthropophora in some of the jars

I soaked the seeds for 24 hours in a solution of 1000ppm gibberellic acid, before sterilisation.
For sowing, I am used a modified Malmgren's media with added B vitamins, 10ml pineapple juice and 30ml of potato per litre and I have added the following combinations to different flasks

A- 1 ppm of Indole-3-acetic (IAA) plus 0.2 ppm of 6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP)
B- 0.5 ppm of Kinetin plus 0.2 ppm BAP
C- 0.5 ppm of Kinetin plus 1 ppm IAA
D- 0.5 ppm Kinetin plus 0.2 ppm BAP plus 0.5 ppm Kinetin plus 1 ppm IAA
E- nothing added

O. purpurea has germinated in jars A 5 protocorms, C 3 protocorms, and D 8 protocorms. normally I am lucky if I get one or two too germinate.
O. anthropophora in jars C  and D both have 3 protocorms.

I usually only get one or two seeds to germinate after a really long time, however will leave it a few more weeks and report back.

wölfchen

neil